It's been so long and so many different games I've played where do I start!?!? Well I guess I'll start with more recent games and go down my vod list.
First off is Tribes: Ascend, the new Tribes installment that is Free to Play. I got into the pre closed beta, which I guess would be late alpha. I have to say compared to older Tribes games it is pretty modernized. First off you only carry two weapons. Now it's not all bad since they implemented a class system which works just fine. Each class has a specific armor type (light, medium, and heavy) and a few different weapons, grenade (can get more with unlocks) and a special belt powerup. Another thing I didn't like compared to the old games was the issue of acceleration/speed locking while skiing ( a technique used to gain and maintain speed upon going down hills over flat land). The main reason they put this in was to stop Heavy Armor from going as fast as Light Armor with tons more health. If you do not have a weapon that can damage Heavy Armor really well then you'll realize it'd be a big problem. This wasn't a case in the old games since you chose what weapons you carried, had more than 2 weapons and could go whatever speed you wanted (depending how good you were). One thing people complain about it is the majority of the weapons implemented are hitscan weapons. Now hitscan for those who don't know are what developers use for weapons that use bullets generally. It sends out a scan as you shoot and it determines if it hits by lag. Say you are playing Team Fortress 2 with about 100 ms lag as a Heavy, you are firing on a Scout but your aiming a little behind him (slower mouse sensitivity). If he has a lower ms count (say he has 20) you will not hit him regardless of the bullet spread because of that lag. This can be a problem for that exact reason when you have those "I should have hit him" moments. I have playtested it on 3 different days and never noticed any real big issues with it. Other than all that I have to say the new engine is amazing. It feels really smooth and learning how to ski on it is really nice. I'm not completely sure if they made this engine on their own but if they did I like the game even more. I highly recommend this game to anyone who has a FPS itch that other free shooters do not give. You can apply for beta here. Here are some vods if you are interested.
I did a full play through of RAGE when it first came out. I have to say even with the game's glaring graphical glitches (the texture streaming ) the game was GORGEOUS. The story was pretty lacking being 8 hours but I did not play through all the side activities. I started playing through it again and realized that if I had done the rest it would have added maybe a couple hours. For instance there is racing you can do to upgrade your vehicle. There is also a task board with various quests. Last are random sewers scattered around the wasteland (it's dlc) which after you clear them out become an extra quest at the task board. The guns feel really solid and the enemy AI is unbelievable. I have to say though the COOP missions are a blast, I kind of liked them better than the single player story. I am a true id software fan boy and would suggest this game to anybody as it is a blast. The one thing that bothers me most is the price, $60 is too much for what they give unless you wanted the textures alone. I personally would only pay about $40 tops unless they put in more DLC now. It is a fun game, not much replay ability as of right now though. Hopefully they release some DLC soon so I can play more of it.
I have started to do play through of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Dragon Age 2 I will post those vods when I am done with them. Other than that I played tons of random stuff where you can view here. I have been on a pretty sporadic schedule with streaming but I will be early this week with some mapping for Fortress Forever. Hope to see you guys join me when I do ^^.
No comments:
Post a Comment