Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Life as a Gamer #19

This is mainly going to be a follow up from #18 talking about Tribes some more and my Dragon Age 2 play through. So lets get to it.


So literally right after I wrote my last blog Hi-Rez Studios, the guys behind Tribes: Ascend released a patch fixing tons of things. The main one that caught my attention (and was a major point to the Tribes part of MLaaG 18) was the fact that there was a skiing speed cap. With this new patch they removed the speed cap, but completely revamped how the physics work. At first I did not see much of a difference until I actually started to get better consecutive skis. It now punishes more for bad skiing which may be a bad thing for newer players as you will see a lot of slower moving players now but in the long run it brings back more of the skill to it. There still seems to be a cap but it seems to be harder to hit. I can't test this completely as I only have the two default classes unlocked I would either have to play 50 games per day to get enough tokens or buy gold coins (would cost about half a normal game for full unlock, seems fair to me). I am not a fan of the heavy classes personally but I'd love to give them a try and see how they feel. Same with the light classes too I guess, I love the feeling of going fast. 


As I load up the client now to see if there was anything else I wanted to talk about, once again they try and pull a fast one and there will be an update later today (Nov 17th). The main thing I see besides even more awesome optimization is that they are allowing you to try out whatever class you want on a private, solo server no matter if you unlocked it or not. I got my wish I guess. They are also adding another map into the free servers. If I recall right this was the snow map that was in the alpha build that I loved. I will try and get some streamed, maybe a little class introduction video. We'll see this coming week. If you want to see some CTF action here is a little vod.

Now onto Dragon Age 2. I'll say that I absolutely LOVED Dragon Age: Origins. It was my favorite fantasy rpg. I was pretty excited when I heard this was coming out but I had some concerns. I heard that the main character was going to be human only. I could deal with this it's just going to be less customization than what I was looking for. I then saw CatsPajamas' demo play through on youtube and I lost even more hope for it. Sure they refined the combat so it's more fun and interactive but everything else just looked terrible. Now onto my actual experience. I played as a rogue as they were severely gimped in Origins, only modding fixed it. Within rogue I went archery as I thought it'd be nice and fun. Turns out I did not have much fun with the game at all. Half the game I decided to do every side quest, the other half I got sick of it so I rushed to the end. There was only one part in the whole story like (which was broken up into three parts, mildly linked together) that I really liked and within ten minutes I hated it again due to story action. It wasn't even more conversation choices that changed it, just how everything ended up. One thing I extremely disliked is how they changed the Hurlock's (most notable enemy from DA:O) looks. They were very demonic, monster looking creatures before, now they look like humans with sharp teeth and a weird padded, stitched skin. I know that this might be just my thoughts but I feel as most of the game should focus on the darkspawn, even though the blight is over. They are still a major threat. You do not face them much, mainly in the prologue. If anyone else played through it, I would really like to know what you thought of the game and if you had played Dragon Age: Origins before as well. Here is my full play through for you guys though.


Part: One Two Three Four Five Six

The last thing I want to talk about is I have been doing quite a bit of Fortress Forever mapping. I've juggling around four to five maps at the moment which is bad, I should really just focus on one to finish then quicker. At the moment I'm trying to finalize my main map Fiddle, work on SpiderCrossings, remaking Conc_Strafe a skills jump map, fix problems in Hollow and work on my prototype Deathmatch rotating objective map. I'll be streaming any one of these a lot hoping to get at least one completely finished. Stream Link

No comments:

Post a Comment