Monday, April 16, 2012

My Life as a Gamer #21

So this past month I have put together my new PC played my round of games I wasn't able to on my laptop and had tons of fun but I still have just gone back to my normal fortress games. Not that this is a bad thing but I don't find newer games as competitive compared to years ago. So this blog will be a Fortress edition.

Fortress Forever


I've been with Fortress Forever since it was in beta pre-release in 2007. Since then the game has evolved into such a great game compared to what it was when first released. Being released a few hours before TF2 was probably one of the worst things to happen to the game. For the past few months I took over the role of head-admin for the us/euro pickup channel #ff.pickup on quakenet and it easily was one of the best experiences for everyone who has played since. Besides that we recently got a 3v3 league going and it is probably the most fun I've had with the game since the last 4v4 league which was over a year ago. This past week alone was a great series of games. My own match tied and we had to go to overtime. Overtime stated in the league is the team with the fastest cap. We started defense and had a great start as the enemy team (col.) tried an offensive engineer to clear the flag stand with his EMP grenade but it majorly backfired which personally I think threw the game for them. They were able to cap in 2 minutes 40 seconds after getting the flag in a horrible position. My team was unsure about how to get the flag faster but it ended up happening after a toss down through the lasers quite early. We beat their time by a minute and it gave us the win. It was so good that I hope more games are close like this. It really makes the atmosphere amazing. Another match that occurred ended up in overtime as well. Both of these games will be linked at the bottom of the page.

I've also made my own personal HUD that I just released. I tried to make it more competitive with more important information towards the middle of the screen but still out of the way of your major vision. Some people seemed to have loved it while others hate it. I guess it is more geared towards quake players as I did have quake live in mind as I created it. I also stayed up all night talking to a developer about a new HUD in game as the default is pretty... bad and outdated. Here is the first rendition made. I loved it when it was being made, the health and armor/shield bars I took the idea from Tribes: Ascend. The next day we did the same thing and continued to edit the HUD into this. I want this one in game right now. I have not seen a similar HUD to it yet.

Enemy Territory Fortress


ETF has been one of my favorite games for a bit being a fortress lover. It came out in 2005 being a port of Quake 3 Fortress onto a free engine (with some minor changes to game play). Come late April or even in early May ETF will be updating for the first time in years to version 1.7 with up to four new maps and plenty of bug fixes. We're trying to get a launch party going before it goes live so if you lounge around IRC I'd appreciate it if you idled #etfgather and #etfgame. Please come check the game out it's amazing and very competitive. Right now there is a 2v2 tournament going on and I subbed for someone and lost the match. I felt bad for my teammate but they didn't seem to care much. I'm not sure if they were planning on winning or not from the enemy team.


Other Stuff


Besides those two games I have been playing a lot of Tribes: Ascend. It is currently my favorite game outside of the Fortress world. I'm in love with the competitive aspect and those who are in it. The game is really getting off it's feet since the recent release and that's what I have been waiting for, a competitive arena based shooter being popular. If you have the game come play with me, my ingame name is Voss.


Here are some related links for anything in this blog.








No comments:

Post a Comment